Construction Site Crane Accidents in New York
Crane accidents may involve a worker being struck by an overhead load or getting caught within the crane’s swing radius, but there are many other types of accident which may occur around cranes. Crane accidents can lead to serious injuries or death. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has provided safety tips to prevent crane accidents.
Safety Tips to Prevent Crane Accidents
- Inspect cranes before use.
- Crane operators should be properly trained.
- Crane operators should not lift a load which is outside of crane safety parameters.
- Raise the load a few inches to verify the balance and effectiveness of the brakes.
- Do not wrap ropes or chains around the load.
- Never move a load above workers.
- Workers should maintain at least a ten-foot-wide radius from cranes.
- Workers and crane inspectors should attend additional training sessions.
Common Causes of Crane Accidents
Being the largest piece of equipment on a construction site, cranes are responsible for more accidents than any other heavy equipment. OSHA has identified the top causes of injury as:
- Cranes coming into contact with energized power lines
- Overturned cranes
- Loads falling from cranes
- Crushing by the counterweight
- Damage from the hook-lifting device
- Rigging failures
- Outrigger use problems
Construction Site Accident Attorney in the Bronx, NY
If you or a loved one has been injured in a crane accident, consult an experienced and skilled personal injury attorney. The construction site accident attorneys at Dervishi Law Group, P.C. will fight for the highest compensation in dealing with your construction site accident in the Bronx, NY. Call (718) 484-4757 for a consultation with Attorney Fatos Dervishi.