- October 17, 2021
- Posted by: Fatos Dervishi, ESQ.
- Category: Car Accidents
Car accident fatalities occur on U.S. roads. Despite safety improvements and public service campaigns, the accident rate is increasing. Driver distraction is considered to be one of the main causes of these accidents. Use of smartphones is a distraction that can cause accidents. There are also many other driver habits that fall into the category of distracted driving.
Common driver distractions that cause car accidents are:
- Dialing a number: Dialing a number increases a driver’s crash risk by 12. Although many cars have hands-free technology, cell phone use is still a major cause of car accidents.
- Reaching for an object: Reaching for an object while driving is a distraction. This type of distraction increases the odds of a crash by up to 9 times.
- Using touchscreens: Cars are equipped with touchscreen menus and navigation. Research has shown that using these devices increases the risk of a crash by more than 4 times.
- Operating the radio: A driver trying to operate the radio doubles the risk of a crash. When there is an MP3 player or music player in the car, the statistics become even more alarming.
- Texting: Most states have banned texting while driving. Texting increases a driver’s crash risk by 6 times. Studies have shown that approximately 40% of drivers ignore texting and driving laws.
How to Prevent Distracted Driving
- Turn your phone on silent and put it away.
- Make any necessary adjustments before you begin to drive.
- Stop driving to eat.
- Ask passengers to assist with navigation devices.
- Secure pets or children before driving.
Contact our The Bronx NY Car Accident Attorneys for legal help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident due to a distracted driver, we can help. Our car accident attorneys are experienced fighters and will help you obtain compensation for your serious injuries. Call us at (917) 300-0797 or (718) 619-4525 or email us at email@example.com. We proudly serve clients in Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island, New York City, Queens, Kings County, Richmond County and throughout New York.