- July 8, 2021
- Posted by: Fatos Dervishi, ESQ.
- Category: Wrongful Death
Wrongful Death Lawsuit New York City, NY
When a person is dies because of the reckless or negligent behavior of someone else, the victim’s family may file a wrongful death lawsuit against the person who is responsible. The lawsuit requires that damages be paid to the family of the deceased.
A wrongful death lawsuit is applicable in the following cases:
- When a person is unintentionally or intentionally killed.
- When a person dies because of medical malpractice.
- When a person dies in an automobile accident.
Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Children of the victim: Children of the victim can file a lawsuit to claim compensation for their parent’s death.
- Parents of minors: Parents of minors may file a lawsuit if one of their children is killed.
- Distant relatives: Distant relatives of the victim, like grandparents, can file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Types of damages in a wrongful death lawsuit
- Survival claims: A person can file a claim for the pain and suffering of the victim before death.
- Medical expenses: Medical expenses incurred by the victim before death may be claimed.
- Compensatory damages: The wages your loved one would have earned if still alive may be claimed.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages punish the person who is responsible for the wrongful death. The responsible person must pay the compensation.
- Burial claims: The lawsuit can claim compensation for funeral and burial expenses.
Wrongful Death attorney in Bronx, New York
Attorney Fatos Dervishi of the Dervishi Law Group, P.C. in New York has experience in fighting for maximum compensation in wrongful death cases. Call 917-300-0797 / 718-619-4525 for a consultation. We can help.