- October 9, 2019
- Posted by: superuser
- Category: Uncategorized
Safety Tips for Winter Driving in the Bronx, NY
The most important tip to anyone driving anywhere at any time is to stay focused 100% of the time and not allow your attention to wander for any reason. However, in inclement weather conditions such as ice, snow, freezing rain, hail, etc., there are other things you can do to avoid becoming an injury victim, or a fatality, in a car accident. The twelve tips for remaining safe are:
- Whenever possible, stay off the streets, roads, highways and thruways until they are clear.
- Prepare your car for snow and ice. Make sure that your tires are properly inflated and have sufficient tread. Check your car battery, ignition, filters and anti-freeze levels and fill your gas tank.
- Know how your car handles under extreme weather conditions. If possible, try driving in a safe area, such as an empty parking lot, to practice handling your vehicle in the snow.
- Drive slowly. When accelerating, gently press the gas pedal to avoid skidding.
- Make sure your headlights remain on so others can see you.
- Have an ice scraper on hand to keep your windows, windshield and mirrors clear.
- Drive in a lower gear to increase traction.
- Be extra careful on bridges and overpasses because they freeze faster.
- Try not to pass snowplows or other safety vehicles, but if you must, drive slowly.
- Keep a longer following distance between you and other vehicles. The rule is approximately 8 to 10 seconds, or three times the usual distance.
- Understand how to apply the brakes according to the kind of brakes you have. Press gently on the brake to slow down or stop. It’s helpful to use the ball of your foot to press steadily down on the brake if your car has anti-lock brakes. If your car does not have anti-lock brakes, pump the brake pedal to stop safely.
- For a ‘just in case’ scenario, have emergency equipment and supplies in the car, including an inflated spare tire and the equipment necessary to change a tire if necessary. Other important items to have on hand are shovels, jumper cables, tow and tire chains, an ice scraper, a big of rock salt, a flashlight, batteries, reflective triangles, a first aid kit, an exterior windshield cleaner, some non-perishable food items and water. As the saying goes, it is better to be safe than sorry.
If you are involved in a car accident in the Bronx, contact the very experienced and exceptionally skilled personal injury attorneys at the Dervishi Law Group We know how to help you get the compensation you deserve.